“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” -Henry James
Bird Rock Elementary is participating in The Great Kindness Challenge this year! January 27-31 will be devoted to understanding, observing and performing acts of kindness. Developing the habit of kindness has the power to increase tolerance, unity and respect for all.
Mark your calendar! This is the first year that our school – with the support of Student Council and the SEL Committee – will participate in this proactive, positive, nation-wide program that promotes social-emotional learning and bully prevention. Events include:
- Monday morning kindness kick-off
- Tuesday envelopes with Kindness Challenge Checklists
- Wednesday morning special assembly
- And much much more!
Volunteers Needed! Let us know if you are interested in volunteering during Kindness Week or if you’d like more information on the Social/Emotional Learning (SEL) Committee at BRE. Fill out our volunteer form here.
Find out more below. There are links, downloads and videos to share and chat about at home.
Thank you for supporting this initiative in our community.
Choose kindness and pass it on…
Your Bird Rock Elementary Kindness Team
Learn more about The Great Kindness Challenge.
Dive into the challenge – take a look at these videos!
- Kindness Matters! Easy ways YOU can make your school a Kinder Place.
- Kind-Hearted Hand– The Great Kindness Challenge Theme Song
More on the kindness, learning and the brain:
- Soul Pancake Street Compliments
- UC Berkeley breakthrough research on the science of kindness and compassion.
- Local California Kindness winner brings his unique acts of kindness to hundreds of children!
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch – Eileen Spinelli
John’s Whistle – Lili Ferreiros and Sonja Wimmer
The Lion and the Mouse – Bernadette Watts
Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters – John Steptoe
Because Amelia Smiled – David Ezra Stein
Each Kindness – Jacqueline Woodson
The Invisible Boy – Trudy Ludwig
The Kindness Quilt – Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
Have You Filled a Bucket Today – Carol McCLoud
The Giving Tree – Shel Silverstein
The Golden Rule – Ilene Cooper